Sunday, March 14, 2010

Jai Uttal-Rama Bolo

My yoga teacher, Linda Grace Foster went to this Kirtan by Jai Uttal. I wanted to go, but had previous plans. If you click on the link you can hear it for free. I didn't know what a kirtan was. It's basically a whole group of people singing ancient chants together about the many names of God and the Goddess. I listened and it's quite uplifting. Jai Uttal's website explains it well here.

Here is translation of the chant Rama Bolo from Krishna Das:

Rama Bolo Rama Bolo, Bolo Bolo Ram
Sita Bolo Sita Bolo Bolo BoloRam
Hanuman Bolo Hanuman Bolo Bolo Bolo Ram

Oh my friends, sing the Name of God! When it gets too damn hard, just sing. Have no fear, don't give up. Sing! When it gets too good, sing. When it falls apart, sing. When it comes together, sing. Cry and sing. Sing and cry. Living sing. Dying sing. Listening sing. Singing sing.

I love this message. Don't you feel better when you can sing out loud? This is quite an education learning about yoga and all the different paths it is taking me down.

RAMA, SITA, and HANUMAN:

Rama, a prince, is also an incarnation of Lord Vishnu.

Sita is Rama's wife.

Hanuman is a monkey who serves Rama and Sita, and rescues Sita from evil.

BOLO: "Bolo" is the imperative form of the verb "to sing."

No comments:

Post a Comment